Sunday, September 2, 2012

Double J


I owe this blog more than 10 entries already – but let meshare one of the highlights of my US trip which I can relate with a current event in our country. It’s not like this entry is really deep but I just want to speak my mind out now.

The moment I landed at Dallas, Texas and saw my good - the first thing I told her was “Let's go to the JFK Museum”. Surprisingly, after living there for 5 years, she’s never been there and I’m glad that I was able to share this experience with her.

So we put in our earphones and went on with our audiovisual tour – aside from my old World History books back in high school, I was ready to meet John Fitzgerald Kennedy again.

I remember getting goose bumps, almost crying and being at awe by his life. All I could think of that time was – “He was a good leader –he shared the same vision as his people”. I just didn't understand why he had to die so early and it was just so tragic that the he was right next to his wife when he got shot. I did not only see how the US mourned for his death – but the whole world. I also witnessed the power of media even when there was no internet back then.  I don't think apathy was never a problem back then.

I left a pretty long message in their guestbook – key message was “I hope that the Philippines will have a great leader like him someday.”

Then when I got home – the plane of Secretary Jesse Robredo crashed. While watching the news I was thinking – is this even possible?  I felt like this was just part of a movie.

I remember reading the article of Cathy Guballa-Babao and sobbing in my cubicle. Of course that’s when it really hit me that not only was Robredo a great leader but also a great father. He was the epitome of THEFAMILY MAN.

Of course – all these testimonials and features started coming out in media but what impressed me the most was his TSINELAS leadership.

For both leaders – it was all about SERVICE.

They both stood out because they were not defined by what they receive (the title, the power) but with what THEY GIVE.

Yes the nation is really sad but I think it gives us more hope that GOOD GOVERNANCE still exists if not in this country – most definitelyin this world.

Thank you JFK and Jesse for giving me the spark to stillbelieve.

"Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country"

No comments: