Wednesday, February 4, 2009

out of the picture

Dear Rosie.

So you went ahead and did it. You married what’s-his-name. You looked beautiful Rosie. I was to stand beside you at the altar, and I was proud to be there with you on your special day. I was proud to be your best man, but just as you said at my wedding, I wasn’t the best man that day, what’s-his-name was. You both looked great together.

I got the oddest feeling when you turned your back to me to walk down the aisle with Greg. It was a pang of jealousy. Is that normal? Did you get that feeling on my wedding day, or am I going completely crazy? I just kept thinking over and over in my head, “Everything is going to change now, everything is going to change.” Greg is the man for you now he gets to hear all your secrets and where does that leave me? It was a weird feeling, Rosie, one that eventually passed but one that was present all the same.

I didn’t date talk about it to anyone, especially Sally, because then she would be only too delighted to think that her little theory of men and women being unable to “just friends” was correct. It’s not like I was jealous because I wanted to be your husband, it was just… Oh I know how to explain it. I suppose I just felt left out, that’s all.

….

Get in touch with me when you get back (from your honeymoon); prove to me that at least some things never change.

Love,
Alex

- An excerpt from the book ‘Love, Rosie’ by Cecilia Ahern

No comments: